First, you do NOT need to get Windows 10!
- Windows 10 will be free for home users until July 29, 2016
- Windows 7 will be supported until 2020
- Windows 8 will be supported until 2023
However, if you do want it, here is the link to the Microsoft page that lets you upgrade Windows 7 or 8.1 directly – Windows 8 cannot be upgraded directly, you must first update it to Windows 8.1, which ruined the Windows install on one of my computers last year. I did one of my machines today, which had been Windows 8.1, to test it out, and want you to be aware of a few things, if you are going to change your computer to Windows 10.
- Remember that your printer, camera, scanner, etc may not work under Windows 10!
- From start to finish took me over 4 HOURS – 2 hours for the checking my computer for eligibility for the free upgrade, and the download, verify, and installation of the software, then 2 more hours for the automatic configuration after the first (of several) automatic restarts
- I was given the option to click to start the first of the restarts, or the computer would do it in 30 minutes, which would have added that half hour to the process
- My previously installed iobit.com Start Menu for Windows 8 and 10 was removed during the install process, and I had to download and install it again
- Your experience may vary, depending on the operating system, amount of memory in your computer, and speed of your internet connection!
- Remember that there is NO GUARANTEE that your data will be safe!
- I backed up my important data, ran my antispyware software, and did a restart BEFORE I started the process by clicking on the “Upgrade now” button on the link below
- There is an option to save the download and load it onto a USB or DVD disk (4 GB space needed, anything else on USB will be lost)
- BEFORE clicking on the “Upgrade now” button, please READ THE WHOLE PAGE!
If you do want to proceed, knowing all this, go to this link:
If you decide not to proceed, enjoy your Windows 7 or 8 as usual, and the “nagging” reminders to upgrade will disappear after July 29th. 🙂